Poppy Oriental Scarlet Corona is a rare oriental poppy variety selected for its spectacularly large scarlet red flowers (up to 13cm across!) marked with an intriguing black velvet centre, and velvety petals that scatter sunlight to expose the true beauty of these flowers. The flowers of the variety Poppy Oriental Scarlet Corona are amongst the largest of all the poppy varieties and are sure to impress everyone from the most experienced garden critics through to beginners. Like all true oriental poppies, Poppy Oriental Scarlet Corona produces beautifully soft fern-like foliage through Spring and into late Summer, dying off later in the season, only to give way to an enormous flowering spectacle by Spring the following year. The stunning display of huge, ornate and majestic oriental poppy flowers cannot be mistaken, however, they are best interplanted amongst other plants that can provide appropriate leaf coverage for the rest of the year, particularly Autumn and Winter, when the poppies are not flowering.
Alternatively, if a mix of premium velvety oriental poppies is preferred, Poppy Oriental Red Velvet (Rare Velvet Mix), should be considered as this mix contains stunning orange, red and burgundy flowering varieties. The Rare Velvet Mix contains the velvety crimson red flowered Poppy Oriental Red Velvet characterised by deep maroon/black blotches/streaks at the base of the flowers, creating the stunningly unique contrast only a poppy flower can provide.
Advantages of Poppy Oriental Scarlet Corona
- Spectacularly large bright scarlet red flowers
- Easy to grow and used in massed displays
- Attracts butterflies and birds
- Long lasting flower and extended flowering (compared to the annual varieties)
- 40 - 50cm height at maturity
- 25 - 30cm apart is suitable planting distance
- Prefers full sun but will grow in part shade
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most temperate regions of Australia
- This variety is not suitable for the humid tropics or sub-tropics
- Hardy Spring & Summer flowering perennial
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Poppy Oriental Scarlet Corona
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes