The variety, Poppy Oriental Red Velvet is a Rare Velvet Mix of oriental poppy varieties selected for their spectacularly large flowers (up to 12cm across!) marked with an intriguing black velvet centre, and velvety petals that scatter sunlight to expose the true beauty of these flowers. The flowers of the variety Poppy Oriental Red Velvet are amongst the largest of all the poppy varieties and are sure to impress everyone from the most experienced garden critics through to beginners. This variety contains a mix of alternative floral palettes, with the benefit of particularly long-lasting flowers, unlike the annual or some of the more traditional varieties. Like all true oriental poppies, Poppy Oriental Red Velvet produces beautifully soft fern-like foliage through Spring and into late Summer, dying off later in the season, only to give way to an enormous flowering spectacle by Spring the following year. The stunning display of huge, ornate and majestic oriental poppy flowers cannot be mistaken, however, they are best interplanted amongst other plants that can provide appropriate coverage for the rest of the year, particularly Autumn and Winter, when the poppies are not flowering.
The Rare Velvet Mix contains the velvety crimson red flowered Poppy Oriental Red Velvet characterised by deep maroon/black blotches/streaks at the base of the flowers, creating the stunningly unique contrast only a poppy flower can provide. Please note despite its name, Poppy Oriental Red Velvet is indeed a mix, made up of beautiful velvety textured flower colours, including the famed Red Velvet.
Alternatively, if a scarlet red Oriental Poppy (as opposed to the Rare Velvet Mix) is preferred, Poppy Oriental Scarlet Corona should be considered as this recently available variety produces very large 100% pure velvety scarlet red flowers.
Poppy Oriental Red Velvet is an improved selection of the traditional species of Oriental Poppy.
Advantages of Poppy Oriental Red Velvet
- Spectacularly large bright coloured flowers
- This mix (Velvet Mix) includes the famed Oriental Red variety
- Easy to grow and used in massed displays
- Attracts butterflies and birds
- Long lasting flower and extended flowering (compared to the annual varieties)
- 40 - 50cm height at maturity
- 25 - 30cm apart is suitable planting distance
- Prefers full sun but will grow in part shade
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most temperate regions of Australia
- This variety is not suitable for the humid tropics or sub-tropics
- Hardy summer flowering perennial
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Poppy Oriental Red Velvet
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes