Melastoma Affine Pink - Blue Tongue is a prolific flowering Australian native shrub growing to about 1.5m x 1.5m in most cases. This beautiful compact shrub is a tropical or sub-tropical species requiring a relative warm environment (most-importantly frost-free). The leaves of Melastoma Affine Pink - Blue Tongue are covered in fine hairs with a darker purplish underside, a similar colour to the young stems. The variety Melastoma Affine Pink - Blue Tongue is an extremely prolific flowering form of Melastoma with the plants going through continuous flowering cycles, throughout most of the year, including Winter.
Melastoma Affine Pink - Blue Tongue works well not just in native gardens, but also in more modern or traditional landscapes and is relatively flexible in the sense that it can be planted as a feature plant in full sun, perhaps until a taller growing tree fills the canopy, then Melastoma will continue to grow (and flower) as an under-storey plant. Melastoma Affine Pink - Blue Tongue is very low maintenance, it does not require pruning or fertilising in most soils and can withstand long periods of very little soil moisture. Pink - Blue Tongue is an improved selection of Melastoma Affine, a variety also known as native Lassiandra.
Advantages of Melastoma Affine Pink - Blue Tongue
- Prolific flowering variety (pink form)
- Tropical & sub-tropical native species
- Impressive evergreen perennial shrub
- Low maintenance and relatively drougb tolerant
- 1.5 - 2m height at maturity
- Plant width is generally equal to height as it is a compact shrub
- Prefers full sun aspect but can tolerate part-shade
- Suitable for pots and prefers warmer regions of Australia
- Easy to grow evergreen perennial
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Melastoma Affine Pink - Blue Tongue
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes