Juniperus Virginiana Eastern Red Cedar is a fast-growing cypress tree with an elegant branching structure. This variety of cypress is most commonly grown as a feature plant for its beautiful silvery-tinged green foliage, or as an informal hedge (as it is very fast growing) providing beautiful colour and requiring only a light trim (optional) every couple of years, to keep it in shape. The natural shape of this Cypress is the classic Christmas Tree shape, and the plant generally maintains its shape as it matures. By pruning the centre of the tree at a young age (~1m height), the plant can be forced to produce more lateral growth and form a hedge-like shape. When trimming, be sure to enjoy the beautiful aromatic smell, that also whiffs through the air when the tree canopy is wet during rain. Juniperus Virginiana Eastern Red Cedar is suitable for pots, borders, rockeries, rural/acreage/estate and other garden situations, particularly dry areas where it may be difficult to establish other plants with higher water requirements.
Juniperus Virginiana Eastern Red Cedar is generally easy to grow and does not require any maintenance, will tolerate soils with generally poor nutrition and is resistant to most common garden pests and diseases.
Advantages of Juniperus Virginiana Eastern Red Cedar
- Fast-growing landscaping conifer
- Excellent hedging variety with aromatic foliage
- Beautiful silver-green foliage provide great texture to landscapes
- Easy to grow and low maintenance
- Resistant to most common pests and diseases
- 3 - 4m height in the first 5-years, but may grow much larger as the tree matures
- 1 -2m apart is a suitable planting distance for hedging or further apart as a specimen
- Prefers full sun but will grow in part shade
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Hardy evergreen conifer tree
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Juniperus Virginiana Eastern Red Cedar
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes