Chives Chivalrous Onion is a fast growing variety of common Chives (Chive) that are commonly used in cooking, including in a range of salads, creamy soups, potatoes, egg dishes and many others including in dips and as a garnish. Chives Chivalrous Onion forms grass-like clumps that are made up of tubular leaves with a distinct onion aroma and flavour. For a garlic flavoured chive, also consider Chives Chivalrous Garlic, a perennial growing variety providing a year-round continual supply of chives. Chives Chivalrous Onion is an improved selection of the superior Allium schoenoprasm, a far superior and more resilient variety than many of the heirloom varieties. The variety Chives Chivalrous Onion has been selected for its superior cultivation characteristics, most specifically its persistence/resilience throughout the seasons as many common varieties experience seasonal dieback from time to time or tend to prematurely bolt (flower).
Advantages of Chives Chivalrous Onion
- Real onion chives
- Original onion aroma and flavour
- Desirable tender-leaves, ideal for cooking, not as chewy as the heirloom varieties!
- Ideal in cooking and as a seasoning or garnish
- Very easy to grow
- 25-30cm height at maturity
- Plant in herb garden, allowing at least 3cm spacing between seeds
- Prefers moderately shady aspect
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Southern Australia
- Easy to grow garden herb
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Chives Chivalrous Onion
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes