Chaenomeles Dwarf Japanese Quince is one of the most popular ornamental quince varieties, due to its particularly compact growth habit, healthy glossy foliage as well as the most wonderful spectacle of Spring colour possible, where the entire plant is covered by stunning orange/red/coral flowers. This variety is derived from the selection rubra, highlighting that the flowers will be substantially red, however, there can be some variation in flower colour ranging from an orange and coral tone, through to a bright crimson red. The compact shrubs are deciduous during Winter, which are quickly covered by beautiful glossy green foliage at the beginning of Spring only to be followed by the unmistakable floral display. In time, more mature plants can produce a small yellow quince fruit that whilst edible, is generally considered quite bitter and most suitable for jams and preserves. The variety Chaenomeles Dwarf Japanese Quince is compact growing and improved selection of Chaenomeles Japonica. Like all Quince varieties, when growing this variety from seed, in order to achieve the best results, a cold stratification process in the order of 2 - 4 weeks is recommended.
Advantages of Chaenomeles Dwarf Japanese Quince
- Amazing flower colour in Spring
- Small shrub or dwarf tree
- Suitable for pots or bonsai
- Mature plants can produce small ornamental yellow fruit
- 1 - 1.2m height at maturity
- 1 - 1.5m apart is suitable planting distance
- Prefers full sun but can tolerate moderate shade
- Will grow in most regions of Australia but prefers a relatively cold winter climate
- Hardy perennial shrub or small dwarf tree
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Chaenomeles Dwarf Japanese Quince
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes