This classic variety of Chinese Gooseberry, Actinidia Hayward Kiwi Fruit is popular, for good reason. Developed by Hayward Wright* in Avondale New Zealand in 1924, this variety is easily the most cultivated kiwi fruit variety in the world, due to its ability to consistently produce heavy yields of premium 1st class fruit and its reliable performance as a perennial vine ready to be harvested, year in, year out. * This variety is sometimes mistakenly sold as Haywood, even though no such variety is in existence. It is believed to be a long gone spelling mistake!
This relatively vigorous high-yielding kiwi fruit variety (deciduous perennial vine) produces characteristic furry brown fruit, which taste delicately sweet, mildly acidic and some would say, a rather exotic addition to any fruit salad, not to mention the next pavlova. The fruit is fragrant, yet still sweet and juicy with a smooth texture. The variety Actinidia Hayward Kiwi Fruit is an early fruiting variety, which is both long-lived (perennial) and a strong producer, which is sure to provide an extremely rewarding experience for any gardener, not to mention the kids will have lots of fund picking their own kiwi fruit from their own garden! Actinidia Hayward Kiwi Fruit will require a sunny spot in the garden and for the leaves to remain dry during watering. Actinidia Hayward Kiwi Fruit is a hardy cultivar (not a wild species variety), therefore has improved disease-resistance ensuring the plant remains healthier for longer. Like all Kiwi Fruit varieties, only the female Hayward plants produce fruit, however you will still require a male plant to ensure the flowers of the female are pollinated; a single male plant can generally pollinate up to female plants, so after the first fruiting season, there is generally no need to keep more than one non-fruiting (male) plant.
Advantages of Actinidia Hayward Kiwi Fruit
- Early & heavy fruiting variety
- Abundant supply of fruit - excellent for home-gardeners
- Sweet and juicy fruit with smooth and crispy flesh
- Extremely heavy yielding variety, with months of continual harvesting each year
- Generally vigorous plant, provided it has sufficient nutrition, particularly calcium & potassium
- 2 - 3m+ height at maturity
- 2 - 4m+ width - 2m apart is a suitable planting distance
- Requires full sun
- Will grow in most regions of Australia (prefers cooler Winters)
- Hardy deciduous perennial
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Actinidia Hayward Kiwi Fruit
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes