Gardenia varieties, whether it is the taller growing Augusta or Florida varieties, or even the groundcover Radicans are classic, all-time favourites of many a keen gardener. For those who have been acquainted with the alluring and hypnotic fragrance of Gardenias, the chances are you have been captivated by this timeless plant, ever since. The splendid white flowers release an unmistakably beautiful fragrance that wafts through the garden and into nearby entertainment areas . . . creating a sense of calm, peace and timeless style, whatever the style of your garden may be.
Without a doubt, Gardenia Jasminoides Cape Jasmine is the most suitable of all the gardenia varieties for most garden applications the plant is highly compact and evergreen, making it a great choice to use as an informal hedge, or even grow in pots, including bonsai. This variety originates from Asia where it is grown widely, and is a very resilient and fast growing variety that tolerates a range of difficult soils, in contrast to some of the more fussy hybrid varieties that typically present micronutrient deficiencies (yellowing in leaves), unless the soil is just perfect. Gardenia Jasminoides Cape Jasmine is far more forgiving, and generally much faster growing, which can be quite important if you are wanting to establish a screen or create a hedge.
Gardenia Jasminoides Cape Jasmine is a compact evergreen shrub with deep green leathery leaves that are punctuated by a complete coverage of delicate and exotically fragrant white flowers throughout the warmer months, typically from Spring through to Autumn. This variety of Gardenia is most commonly grown as an informal hedge (or short screening plant) providing beautiful colour and requiring only a light trim after flowering, to keep it in shape.
The leathery and glossy leaves of Gardenia Jasminoides Cape Jasmine ensure this evergreen plant which grows to around 1m in the first 5 years, is suitable for a range of high-end applications in the landscaping industry, as well as for designer gardens. No wonder it has been awarded the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit.
Gardenia Jasminoides Cape Jasmine is suitable for pots, borders, rockeries and other garden situations, particularly dry areas where it may be difficult to establish other plants with higher water requirements. Gardenia Jasminoides Cape Jasmine is generally easy to grow and does not require any maintenance, will tolerate soils with generally poor nutrition and is resistant to most common garden pests and diseases.
Advantages of Gardenia Jasminoides Cape Jasmine
- Beautifully exotic and fragrant flowers
- Excellent hedging variety with glossy foliage
- Long flowering season providing continuous colour in warmer months
- Versatile flowering plant suitable in both pots and in the garden
- Easy to grow and low maintenance
- Resistant to most common pests and diseases
- 1 - 1.5m height at maturity (ideally hedged at 1m height)
- 40 - 50cm apart is a suitable planting distance for hedging
- Prefers full sun but will grow in part shade
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Hardy evergreen perennial
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Gardenia Jasminoides Cape Jasmine
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes