Zelkova Serrata Japanese Elm Keyaki is a stunningly beautiful ornamental tree originating from East Asia, most notably from Japan where it has been grown in nature reserves, important cultural sites such as temples and as a bonsai for centuries! After all, the true meaning of Bonsai is to mimic nature in all her glory, and to this end, Zelkova Serrata Japanese Elm Keyaki does not disappoint. With its textured bark, ornate branching and brilliant Autumn coloration, Zelkova Serrata Japanese Elm Keyaki is an old time favourite.
Zelkova Serrata Japanese Elm Keyaki is a very long lived tree; the photo of the bonsai plant (bottom right) is a Zelkova Serrata plant first started by Yoshibumi Itoigawa in 1895 and is still growing happily at the National Bonsai & Penjing Museum of the United States National Arboretum.
In general terms Zelkova Serrata Japanese Elm Keyaki is a fast growing tree, that in time, will grow into a very large, awe-inspiring garden specimen, best suited as a feature or as part of a large landscape, often used in municipal parklands and along driveways at large country estates. Zelkova Serrata Japanese Elm Keyaki is best used to provide height as part of a large landscape, with smaller growing trees/shrubs planted in front to provide a structurally sophisticated planting.
Notwithstanding its fast growth rate, Zelkova Serrata Japanese Elm Keyaki is suitable as a bonsai, provided the germinated seeds are grown in a low-organic matter soil (sandy loam), to ensure the plant is not to vigorous. The tap-root should either be snipped or curled (J-rooted) within the first 8-weeks, to ensure the plant remains suitable for bonsai.
Advantages of Zelkova Serrata Japanese Elm Keyaki
- Beautiful specimen tree
- Fast growing once established
- Majestic specimen plant ideal for high-impact feature
- Spectacular autumn colour
- Large long-lived tree
- Hardy deciduous tree
- Suitable for bonsai
- 3 - 5 m height in the first 5 years, but can grow as tall as 20m+ over the years
- 6 - 8 m apart is suitable planting distance though these are generally planted as features
- Suitable for part-shade and full sun
- Will grow in most regions of Australia
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Zelkova Serrata Japanese Elm Keyaki
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes