Don't waste your time with the chewy, pulpy tasteless types of watermelons, which are unfortunately all-too-common these days! This improved version of the classic Sugarbaby, Watermelon Sugarbaby produces medium-sized (5 - 6kg) dark green watermelons, with the sweetest, super-juicy bright red flesh with less seeds than many other varieties. The variety Watermelon Sugarbaby is one of the earliest fruiting varieties of watermelon and requires very little effort to grow, which is sure to provide an extremely rewarding experience for any gardener.
Unlike many common watermelon varieties Watermelon Sugarbaby is generally resistant to many types of mildews (which often affect Citrullus), ensuring your vegetable garden remains healthy. This is a trailing variety, so it needs at least a metre to run, and remember, like all watermelons, will require a sunny spot in the garden and for the leaves to remain dry during watering. Marigolds can be inter-planted with this watermelon variety, as they act as a natural insect pest repellent.
Advantages of Watermelon Sugarbaby Lowseed
- Early fruiting variety and relatively compact vine (compared to other varieties)
- Medium sized fruit (5 - 6kg) - excellent for home-gardeners
- Super sweet and juicy bright red flesh with less seeds
- Heavy yielding variety which is drought tolerant
- Generally resistant to common mildews
- 30 - 40cm height at maturity (but can 'run' 100cm+)
- 80 - 90cm apart is suitable planting distance
- Requires full sun
- Will grow in most regions of Australia
- Hardy spring, summer, autumn vegetable (avoid winter frosts)
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Watermelon Sugarbaby
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes