Viola King Henry belongs to the Violet genus (Viola cornuta) and is sometimes also considered a variety of pansy. Like many of the popular varieties of viola, Viola King Henry is a hardy compact plant, that is sure to provide months and months of stunning colour. The Viola King Henry produces an abundance of stunning flowers in shades or mauve and deep purple with an impressive velvety appearance.
In bedding applications, Violas are typically planted out in Autumn (in regions with mild Winters) for Spring flowering, or planted out in Winter for Summer flowering. Depending on the severity of the cold weather, viola varieties can come back and be grown as a biennial, however, it is most commonly grown as a colourful annual.
What is the difference between Viola & Pansy?
In many cases, these terms are often used interchangeably, as the plants are very similar and belong to the same genus, Viola. If we wanted to get picky, one of the key distinctions is that pansy flowers have four petals pointing upwards and only one pointing down, whereas, viola flowers have three pointing up and two pointing down. Another distinction is that most viola varieties have an abundance of smaller flowers, whereas pansy varieties often have larger flowers, particularly in the case of the Swiss Giants Velvet Mix which is often considered a pansy.
Advantages of Viola King Henry
- Bright flowers in mauve and deep purple
- Flowers with whisker surrounding the eye and velvet texture
- Early and extended flowering season
- Ideal for mass-plantings and bedding colour
- 10 - 15cm height
- 20 - 25cm apart is a suitable planting distance
- Prefers full sun but will grow in part shade
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Hardy annual, although depending on winter temperatures, can be a frost-tender biennial
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Viola King Henry
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes