Toona Sinensis Chinese Mahogany is a stunningly beautiful ornamental deciduous tree native to across much of Asia, most notably from China where it has been grown in nature reserves, important cultural sites such as temples and as a bonsai for many centuries! After all, the true meaning of Bonsai is to mimic nature in all her glory, and to this end, Toona Sinensis Chinese Mahogany does not disappoint. With its dark-brown textured bark, ornate branching and brilliant Spring coloration (cherry bronze new growth), Toona Sinensis Chinese Mahogany is an old time favourite. Toona Sinensis Chinese Mahogany is covered with a spectacular display of new seasons growth in Spring, before the leaves mature to a deep green colour throughout Summer, before turning a pale green-yellow and becoming fully deciduous generally by the end of Autumn (particularly in cold environments).
As a true mahogany, the wood of Toona Sinensis Chinese Mahogany is a highly sort after redwood used for highly valuable applications such as designer furniture and the main body of electric guitars. As it takes many years for Toona Sinensis Chinese Mahogany to reach a harvestable age for timber, the tree is more commonly used as a source of leaf-vegetable as the young Spring growth is edible and used in stir-frys to provide an onion like flavour. In more recent times, a range of natural compounds have been extracted by scientists from Toona Sinensis Chinese Mahogany which have been found to provide a wide-spectrum of benefits for a range of patient groups including diabetes and cancer sufferers.
Given its relatively slow growth rate, Toona Sinensis Chinese Mahogany is suitable as a bonsai, provided the germinated seeds are grown in a low-organic matter soil (sandy loam), to ensure the plant remain non-apical (not vertically vigorous). The tap-root should either be snipped or curled (J-rooted) within the first 8-weeks, to ensure the plant remains suitable for bonsai.
Advantages of Toona Sinensis Chinese Mahogany
- Beautiful specimen tree with cherry-bronze foliage
- Majestic specimen plant ideal for high-impact feature
- Large long-lived deciduous tree
- Suitable for bonsai
- 3 - 4 m height in the first 5 years, but can grow as tall as 20m over the years
- 6 - 8 m apart is suitable planting distance though these are generally planted as features
- Suitable for part-shade and full sun
- Will grow in most regions of Australia
- Hardy deciduous tree
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Toona Sinensis Chinese Mahogany
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes