The dark tomato variety, Tomato Black Lisse is a black Russian style variant of the highly popular classic variety Tomato Grosse Lisse. Similar to Tomato Gross Lisse, Tomato Black Lisse is a vigorous variety that produces large fruit that have a distinct brown/khaki/black appearance and sweet exotic flavour, with the juicy and fragrant fruit consisting of beautifully smooth texture, unlike the rubbery pulp the supermarkets call tomatoes these days!
The variety Tomato Black Lisse is one of the earliest fruiting varieties of tomato, which is both long-lived, and a strong producer, which is sure to provide an extremely rewarding experience for any gardener. Provided Tomato Black Lisse plants have enough calcium (add lime to the soil if the base of fruit starts to turn brown and rot), the fruit is very long-lasting and can last up to 2-weeks in the kitchen fruit-bowl. This variety does best if it is staked (not compulsory) and remember, like all tomato varieties, will require a sunny spot in the garden and for the leaves to remain dry during watering. Marigolds can be inter-planted with this tomato variety, as they act as a natural insect pest repellent.
Advantages of Tomato Black Lisse
- Early fruiting variety
- Medium to large black fruit - excellent for home-gardeners
- Sweet, juicy & fragrant fruit
- Extremely heavy yielding variety, with months of continual harvesting
- Generally vigorous plant, provided it has sufficient nutrition, particularly phosphorus
- 40 - 80cm height at maturity (but can 'climb' 80cm+, if staked)
- 50 - 60cm apart is suitable planting distance
- Requires full sun
- Will grow in most regions of Australia
- Hardy Spring, Summer, Autumn vegetable (avoid winter frosts)
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Tomato Black Lisse
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes