The variety Strawberry Alpine Dessert produces elongated (narrow and long) fruit that is long-lasting and exceptionally sweet and fragrant, making it the perfect strawberry for dessert garnishes. Whilst the fruit produced by Strawberry Alpine Dessert is not as large as some of the modern polyploid varieties, the fruit texture is however less pulpy and more smooth, ideal for those cheesecakes! Strawberry Alpine Dessert is a continuous harvesting variety which means it is constantly fruiting, and as a result is constantly covered with the beautiful white flowers providing cheerful colour around the vege garden, pot, or hanging basket.
The variety Strawberry Alpine Dessert is one of the earlier fruiting varieties of strawberry, which is both long-lived, and a strong producer, which is sure to provide an extremely rewarding experience for any gardener. Like all strawberry varieties, Strawberry Alpine Dessert will require a sunny spot in the garden and for the leaves to remain dry during watering. The use of mulch around strawberry plants can assist in keeping fruit fresh and preventing fruit from rotting as a result of sitting on wet soil. Strawberry Alpine Dessert is generally pest and disease resistant if the leaves are kept dry, however the bigger challenge will be keeping adventurous birds from devouring the fruits of your labour!
Important note: We only sell the very best, modern hybrid Strawberry varieties. Many of the "traditional" varieties, have poor disease resistance, require a long period before producing fruit and of course produce strawberries that are much smaller than the modern polyploid varieties we have all come to expect. Finally, at The Climbing Fig™ we only stock the very best range of proven premium varieties - we most certainly do not stock imaginary varieties such as the "rare blue strawberry" or the "heirloom black variety" and the various other clearly fake variants. We thank you for your support in allowing us to keep it real.
Advantages of Strawberry Alpine Dessert
- Early fruiting variety
- Elongated fruit - excellent for home-gardeners
- Extra sweet and juicy bright red smooth flesh
- Extremely heavy yielding variety, with months of continual harvesting
- Generally healthy plant, provided it has sufficient nutrition, particularly calcium and phosphorus
- 20 - 30cm height at maturity
- 30 - 40cm apart is suitable planting distance
- Requires full sun
- Will grow in most regions of Australia but can develop mildews in continually humid weather
- Hardy Spring, Summer, Autumn fruit (avoid winter frosts)
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Strawberry Alpine Dessert
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes