The variety Silverbeet Rainbow Chard is an old favourite, heirloom chard variety grown for its unusual looking bright and colourful stems. The red, pink, purple, yellow and white coloured plants (stems and venation) are the result of natural plant pigments (betalains) and are therefore not only edible but a valuable source of phytonutrients.
It is important to note that the variety Silverbeet Rainbow Chard is not not only real but has been grown widely for many years, unlike the entirely fictional Blue Strawberry or the Purple Banana, let alone the Rainbow Rose that tend to make the rounds on sites like eBay looking for unsuspecting buyers to con! It is in this light that Silverbeet Rainbow Chard is sure to provide some real fun and excitement in the garden as the children, neighbours and friends begin to question what is happening out in the vege garden!
Back to the virtues of Silverbeet Rainbow Chard, this variety is a tender and soft leaved variety that is versatile in the kitchen and can essentially be used in most recipes where silverbeet and/or spinach would typically be used.
This variety is generally resistant to common pests and diseases (including thrips and smut) that typically affect vegetable gardens and remain harvestable (do not go to flower) for an extended duration.
Advantages of Silverbeet Rainbow Chard
- Real silverbeet - only colourful
- Popular garden vegetable
- Easy to grow, particularly if direct seeded
- Generally disease-free if planted in full sun
- 30 - 40cm height at maturity
- 25 - 30cm apart is suitable planting distance
- Prefers full sun but will grow in part shade
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Annual vegetable
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Silverbeet Rainbow Chard
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes