The variety Rubus Raspberry Red Duke is a modern European raspberry variety bred to incorporate the very best Raspberry traits, including early-yielding traits on a healthy plant, not to mention the tastiest raspberries imaginable. This premium variety produces large, bright red fruit, which actually taste the way raspberries should! Fragrant, juicy, sweet with a mild tang and smooth texture, unlike the tasteless fruit the supermarkets call raspberries these days! Rubus Raspberry Red Duke is an extended harvesting variety which means it starts fruiting very early in the season (on previous years growth/canes) and keeps on producing well into Summer, and as a result is constantly covered with the beautiful white flowers providing cheerful colour around the garden.
The variety Rubus Raspberry Red Duke is a modern cultivar of the European raspberry (Rubus idaeus), is best suited to cooler climates where the plant is essentially deciduous in Winter, and in Spring produces short stems of leaves on the previous years growth, which are followed by a complete coverage of white flowers, which give way to an abundant crop of tasty raspberry fruit.
Like all raspberry varieties, Rubus Raspberry Red Dukeprefers to be planted into a mildly acidic soil high in organic matter, requires a sunny spot in the garden and for the leaves to remain dry during watering. Rubus Raspberry Red Duke is generally pest and disease resistant if the leaves are kept dry, however the bigger challenge will be keeping adventurous birds from devouring the fruits of your labour!
Important note: We only sell the very best, modern Raspberry varieties. Many of the older "traditional" varieties, have poor disease resistance, require a long period before producing fruit and of course produce raspberries that are much smaller than the modern varieties we have all come to enjoy. Finally, when considering purchasing Raspberry seeds, be sure to purchase from a reputable supplier, as many of the "coloured varieties" which seem to include every colour of the rainbow, as well as blue and black, are clearly fakes and should be avoided, to save both your time and money. Finally, the seeds of this and all raspberry varieties are, i) quite small, ii) require cold-treatment for at least 2 weeks in the fridge, iii) can take 1 - 3 months to germinate, iv) and are often best grown by planting into Jiffy pellets and covering with fine grade GP vermiculite.
Advantages of Rubus Raspberry Red Duke
- Early fruiting modern variety
- Heavy-yielding European Raspberry variety
- Very large sweet and juicy fruit
- Extremely heavy yielding variety, with months of continual harvesting
- Robust plant, provided it has sufficient nutrition, particularly calcium, potassium and phosphorus
- 1.2 - 1.5m height at maturity
- 1 - 1.5m apart is suitable planting distance
- Requires full sun and prefers mildly acidic soils (pH: 5.5 - 6.5)
- Will grow in most southern regions of Australia as it prefers a relatively cold winter climate
- Hardy perennial Spring and Summer fruit
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in ~30mm Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Rubus Raspberry Red Duke
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes