Pyrus Calleryana Callery Pear, put simply, is one of the best ornamental trees available and is very popular in gardens and landscapes in temperate areas for good reason. Pyrus Calleryana Callery Pear really does provide a stunning display for all seasons. Whilst the plant is deciduous in winter, it quickly follows with a stunning display where the entire tree is covered with the glory of white apple-blossom flowers, that gradually give way to the distinct glossy green foliage of the Callery Pear in spring and summer, to only be followed by another display or orange/burgundy colour in the Autumn. Pyrus Calleryana Callery Pear is an ideal feature plant in a range of landscapes, or can be trellised (espaliered) for a distinct European style of garden, can be grown in pots, or simply planted outside a west facing window, where it will provide shade in summer, light in winter and a stunning display the rest of the year. Pyrus Calleryana Callery Pear is also suitable as a bonsai, provided the germinated seeds are grown in a low-organic matter soil, to ensure the plant is not to vigorous. The tap-root should either be snipped or curled (J-rooted) within the first 8-weeks, to ensure the plant remains suitable for bonsai.
Advantages of Pyrus Calleryana Callery Pear
- The ultimate ornamental tree
- Spectacular display for every season
- Attractive landscaping variety
- Suitable for screening or as a specimen
- 3 - 4 m height in the 5 years, but can grow as tall as 8-10m over the years
- 1-2 m apart is suitable planting distance (as a screen) though these are generally planted as features
- Suitable for part-shade and full sun
- Drought tolerant once established
- Suitable for pots but best grown in temperate regions of Australia
- Hardy deciduous tree
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Pyrus Calleryana Callery Pear
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes