Pumpkin Waltham 451 Butternut is an improved selection of the classic all-time-favourite butternut variety, Waltham. The Pumpkin Waltham 451 Butternut variety produces bright creamy orange elongated pumpkins and is sure to be highly rewarding in any home vegetable garden, as it is one of the earliest fruiting varieties (as early as only 10-12 weeks after sowing). When cooked, the fruit has a beautiful buttery/creamy texture, unlike the pulpy pumpkins shipped-out by the supermarkets from the cold store these days. Typical fruit produced by Pumpkin Waltham 451 Butternut are around 25cm long and weigh about 1.5kg, just the right amount for that next pot of soup or tray of roasted vegetables! Like all pumpkins, they require a sunny spot in the garden and for the leaves to remain dry during watering. Whilst pumpkins can be picked when they are young for a range of gourmet dishes, they are typically left until the vine dies and the pumpkins turn deep orange. The male flowers (the ones without miniature fruit) are also edible in a range of dishes including salads, and are often stuffed with rice, cheese or other fillings, in a range of exotic delicacies. Please remember, all pumpkins like to run, so ensure there is plenty of room in your (or your neighbours!) garden, before deciding on where to plant these seeds.
Advantages of Pumpkin Waltham 451 Butternut
- Early and heavy yielding variety
- Medium sized creamy orange fruit (20 - 25cm)
- Generally pest and disease resistant
- 40 - 50cm height at maturity
- 60 - 80cm apart is suitable planting distance
- Requires full sun
- Will grow in most regions of Australia
- Hardy spring, summer, autumn vegetable (avoid winter frosts)
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Pumpkin Waltham 451 Butternut
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes