Nothing says welcome to the Caribbean, or exotic holidays, like fresh guava on a fruit platter, or perhaps a glass of fresh guava juice! If you are a fan of exotic fruits, why not add a guava tree to your collection? Most guava species native to South America grow into medium sized trees (5 - 10m), however, recently developed cultivars like Psidium Pink Apple Guava are a more suitable size for the home gardener, with a more sensible size of 3 - 5m, at maturity. Like most guava varieties, Psidium Pink Apple Guava is a semi-deciduous plant, which retains most of its foliage in more tropical environments, however, in cooler environments subject to severe frosts, the plant will grow as a deciduous plant.
Psidium Pink Apple Guava is a large fruiting variety from Brazil, with sweet pink flesh, and pleasantly small seeds, a highly desirable trait that is less common in the species varieties. Psidium Pink Apple Guava is a premium cultivar due to its relatively compact growth habit and superior fruiting characteristics. When considering various guava varieties, please keep in mind, many of the cherry varieties that have recently become available are equally appealing from an aesthetic perspective (i.e. nice red fruit), however, in most cases, these should be grown as ornamentals as the fruit is often described as bland, particularly in warmer climates. As a compact hardy tree, Psidium Pink Apple Guava makes a stunning bonsai specimen, and has recently become a favourite amongst fruiting bonsai enthusiasts.
Advantages of Psidium Pink Apple Guava
- Sought after Brazilian variety
- Large sweet fruit with small seeds
- Hardy ornamental cultivar with fragrant white flowers
- Compact variety highly suitable for bonsai
- 2 - 3 m height in the first 5 years, but can grow as tall as 5m over the years
- 5m+ apart is suitable planting distance as these are generally planted as features
- Suitable for part-shade and full sun
- Drought tolerant once established
- Suitable for pots, particularly bonsai
- Hardy semi-deciduous small tree
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Psidium Pink Apple Guava
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes