Platanus Orientalis Oriental Plane Tree is a stunningly beautiful ornamental tree originating from Asia, where it has been grown in nature reserves and important cultural sites for centuries! With its elegantly mottled & textured bark, ornate branching and brilliant maple-like leaves, Platanus Orientalis Oriental Plane Tree is an old time favourite. Platanus Orientalis Oriental Plane Tree is the Eastern (as in Oriental) Plane Tree and is often considered to be a superior tree to the Western (as in American) Plane Tree (Platanus Occidentalis) in most landscape settings.
Platanus Orientalis Oriental Plane Tree is a very long lived tree with many specimens across Asia and Europe understood to be many hundreds of years old.
In general terms Platanus Orientalis Oriental Plane Tree is a fast growing tree, that in time, will grow into a very large, awe-inspiring garden specimen, best suited as a feature or as part of a large landscape, often used in municipal parklands and along driveways at large country estates. Platanus Orientalis Oriental Plane Tree is best used to provide height as part of a large landscape, with smaller growing trees/shrubs planted in front to provide a structurally sophisticated planting.
Notwithstanding its fast growth rate, Platanus Orientalis Oriental Plane Tree is suitable as a bonsai, provided the germinated seeds are grown in a low-organic matter soil (sandy loam), to ensure the plant is not to vigorous. The tap-root should either be snipped or curled (J-rooted) within the first 8-weeks, to ensure the plant remains suitable for bonsai.
Advantages of Platanus Orientalis Oriental Plane Tree
- Beautiful specimen tree
- Fast growing once established
- Majestic specimen plant ideal for high-impact feature
- Large long-lived tree
- Suitable for bonsai
- 3 - 5 m height in the first 5 years, but can grow as tall as 20m+ over the years
- 6 - 8 m apart is suitable planting distance though these are generally planted as features
- Suitable for part-shade and full sun
- Will grow in most regions of Australia
- Hardy deciduous tree
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Platanus Orientalis Oriental Plane Tree
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes