Phormium Cookianum Purpurea™ is a fast growing and hardy perennial bladed grass most often grown in landscaping applications for its large strappy dark burgundy foliage. The premium variety Phormium Cookianum Purpurea™ is grown as a screening plant, in mass-plantings in hard-wearing or difficult areas such as beside buildings or fences and is often planted by local councils along nature or median strips as well as roundabouts where it is typically difficult to get other things to grow.
Phormium Cookianum Purpurea™ plants are non-invasive, generally clump into 90x70cm mounds of arching blades of spectacular burgundy foliage and provide an excellent contrast for structural features (walls, edging, water feature) or exemplify the colour of flowering plants in the garden, teasing out bright greens, oranges, yellows and red that contrast spectacularly against the bold and elegant foliage.
Phormium Cookianum Purpurea™ is an extremely versatile plant as it is highly frost and drought tolerant, will grow in a range of soils ranging from sandy through to clay and will also handle reasonable periods of wetness in the root zone, although not the ideal environment.
Whilst not essential, Phormium Cookianum Purpurea™ benefits from a deep trim in early Autumn to ensure the tuft remains dense and healthy.
Phormium Cookianum Purpurea™ is an improved selection of the NZ flax varieties, commonly known as Purple Mountain Flax.
Advantages of Phormium Cookianum Purpurea™
- Stylish landscaping plant
- Extremely hardy and versatile plant
- Beautiful deep burgundy foliage
- Cultivar with improved tuft resilience
- 70 - 90cm height at maturity
- 70cm apart is a suitable planting distance
- Prefers full sun but can cope with light shade
- Will grow in most regions of Australia, although may struggle in the tropics
- Highly drought and frost tolerant once established
- Easy to grow evergreen perennial grass
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Phormium Cookianum Purpurea™
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes