Papaver Alpinum Hybrid Alpine Poppy is a modern (hybrid) variant of the dwarf alpine poppy that occurs naturally across the alpine regions of central and northern Europe. Papaver Alpinum Hybrid Alpine Poppy is the most compact of all the poppy varieties and is sure to impress everyone from the most experienced garden critics through to beginners. This variety consists of a range of colours from the off-white vanilla, through to soft peach, pale pinks and a stunning canary yellow. Like all true alpine poppies, Papaver Alpinum Hybrid Alpine Poppy produces beautifully soft fern-like foliage and flowers through late Spring and into Summer, with a follow-up flowering season in Autumn, if in an appropriate environment. Alpine poppies are not drought tolerant like other poppies and do not tolerate fertilising well. They generally prefer a nutrient depleted section of yard where they can get established, and eventually be naturalised, popping up the following Spring to provide more colour.
Advantages of Papaver Alpinum Hybrid Alpine Poppy
- Dwarf alpine poppy variety
- Old world charm and elegance
- Exquisite range of flower colours
- Not the easiest poppy variety to grow, but quite stunning
- 15 - 20cm height at maturity
- 10 - 15cm apart is suitable planting distance
- Prefers full sun but can tolerate part shade
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most cooler regions of Australia
- This variety is not suitable for the humid tropics or sub-tropics
- Hardy Spring & Summer flowering perennial often grown as an annual
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Papaver Alpinum Hybrid Alpine Poppy
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes