Oregano Italian Wild is a hardy, easy to grow variety of Italian Oregano, a variety also known as wild oregano which is highly sought after due to its intense flavour. Oregano Italian Wild is a popular perennial herb variety, grown for its beautifully fragrant leaves that are commonly used in a wide-range of culinary delights. In addition, Oregano Italian Wild produces a beautiful pink-purple apical flower stem in Spring which can be quite stunning in a cottage style garden, however is often trimmed to ensure the plant remains in a vegetative state (producing foliage not flowers), for continued harvesting.
The variety Oregano Italian Wild has been selected for its superior aromatic characteristics, most specifically its strong traditional flavour and fragrance, unlike many of the newer varieties which are purely grown for their aesthetic appeal. One of the reasons for the popularity of the variety Oregano Italian Wild is more compact growth habit of this variety, meaning the plant can be better maintained and is also generally pest and disease resistant. Since Oregano Italian Wild is an evergreen perennial, provided it is sheltered from frosts, it is generally one of the hardier herbs which will continue provide beautiful Oregano leaves for your cooking delights, throughout the year, even when the Parsley has bolted (flowering) and the cold weather has knocked the Basil about!
Advantages of Oregano Italian Wild
- Great strong traditional flavour and aroma in an easy to grow plant
- Desirable evergreen perennial for year long harvest, every year
- Harvestable for an extended period
- 40-50cm height at maturity
- Plant in herb garden, allowing at least 50cm space
- Prefers full sun but will grow in part shade
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Easy to grow garden herb
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Oregano Italian Wild
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes