Lomandra Hystrix Green Submarine is a fast growing and hardy perennial grass most often grown in landscaping applications for its elegant strappy green foliage, which is contrasted by beautiful pale-yellow coloured flowers (inflorescence) typically in early Spring. The variety Lomandra Hystrix Green Submarine is grown as a foliage plant similar to other Lomandra varieties (including the more common Lomandra Longifolia Warrior), except this variety is typically planted in areas that have much higher soil moisture levels, for instance up against ponds or near rivers and creeks, where it may be difficult to get other things to grow. Lomandra Hystrix Green Submarine is an Australian native and whilst the Hystrix species is native to the coastal NSW and SE QLD, the Green Submarine plants are non-invasive, generally clump into 80x100cm mounds of arching blades of beautiful green foliage and provide an excellent texture for many different types of landscapes. Lomandra Hystrix Green Submarine is a versatile plant as it is generally low maintenance, will grow in a range of soils ranging from sandy through to clay and will also handle reasonable periods of excessive wetness in the root zone. Whilst not essential, Lomandra Hystrix Green Submarine benefits from a deep trim in early Autumn to ensure the tuft remains dense and healthy. Lomandra Hystrix Green Submarine is an improved selection of the Australian native Lomandra Hystrix, commonly known as Basket-Grass.
Advantages of Lomandra Hystrix Green Submarine
- Ideal for wet areas
- Stylish landscaping plant
- Hardy and versatile plant
- Beautiful bladed green foliage
- Cultivar with improved tuft resilience
- 80 - 85cm height at maturity
- 80cm apart is a suitable planting distance
- Prefers slightly shaded aspect
- Will grow in most regions of Australia
- Easy to grow evergreen perennial grass
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Lomandra Hystrix Green Submarine
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes