Liriodendron Tulipifera is a brilliant variety of tree Liriodendron, a member of the the Magnolia family. This elegant tree produces interesting foliage consisting of glossy three-lobed leaves which are punctuated by amazing yellow (inner orange ring) flowers that engulf the entire tree canopy for several months in late Spring each year. The flowers of Liriodendron Tulipifera are blend of yellow-orange when they first emerge and fade to a pale yellow colour towards the end of the season. Liriodendron Tulipifera is a quick-growing large tree, suitable as a feature or as part of a large landscape, often used along driveways at large country estates, particularly in the United States. Liriodendron Tulipifera is suitable as a bonsai, provided the germinated seeds are grown in a low-organic matter soil (sandy loam), to ensure the plant is not to vigorous. The tap-root should either be snipped or curled (J-rooted) within the first 8-weeks, to ensure the plant remains suitable for bonsai.
Advantages of Liriodendron Tulipifera
- Long flowering season
- Beautiful glossy green foliage
- Majestic specimen plant ideal for high-impact feature
- Large long-lived tree
- Suitable for bonsai
- 3 - 5m height in the first 5 years, but can grow as tall as 10m over the years
- 6 - 8 m apart is suitable planting distance though these are generally planted as features
- Suitable for part-shade and full sun
- Will grow in most regions of Australia, however prefers cooler more temperate regions
- Hardy deciduous tree
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Liriodendron Tulipifera
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes