Gliricidia Mexican Pink Lilac a member of the Fabacea family (leguminous plants) native to Central America is reported to have a very closely related species (Gliricidia septum Jacq. Kunth ex Walp.) native to the top-end of Australia, specifically a small pocket in NE Queensland, and Northern Western Australia. Gliricidia Mexican Pink Lilac is a fast-growing and versatile ornamental tree that is typically evergreen in warmer regions, however in cooler areas can be treated as semi-deciduous as it will shed a reasonable proportion of its leaves as the weather becomes cooler.
Gliricidia Mexican Pink Lilac is a bright flowering (pink pea-like flowers) tree that is an ideal feature plant for many applications including streetscapes and public spaces, as the plant is generally very hardy however is best suited to warmer regions such as sub-tropical regions, however will survive in most areas provides it is not planted in a frost-prone area.
Gliricidia Mexican Pink Lilac is also suitable as a bonsai, provided the germinated seeds are grown in a low-organic matter soil, to ensure the plant is not too vigorous. The tap-root should either be snipped or curled (J-rooted) within the first 8-weeks, to ensure the plant remains suitable for bonsai.
Advantages of Gliricidia Mexican Pink Lilac
- Mountains of pink flowers
- Small to medium tree (approximately 10 metres)
- Highly ornamental rounded tree
- Fast growing and attractive landscaping variety
- Easy to grow legume tree
- Suitable as a specimen for bonsai
- 3 - 4 m height in the 5 years, but can grow as tall as 8-10m over the years
- 1 - 2 m apart is suitable planting distance (as a screen) though these are generally planted as features
- Prefers full sun aspect
- Drought tolerant however quite frost sensitive, particularly when plants are young
- Generally not suitable for pots(with the exception of bonsai) and best grown in warmer regions of Australia
- Hardy evergreen tree
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Gliricidia Mexican Pink Lilac
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes