Finally. The widely acclaimed Black Velvet Series of Geraniums that has taken the U.S., Europe and Japan by storm, is now in Australia. Geraniums in the Black Velvet Series sport an absolutely unique black leaf (with a very narrow green outside margin) and are available in four extremely heavy flowering varieties, Red, Apple Blossom, Rose & Salmon.
The Geranium Black Velvet Series is a collection of modern hybrid varieties of geranium (pelargonium) that have been specifically developed to produce the unmistakably beautiful velvety black leaves and spectacularly bright flowers on very large flower heads, providing a beautiful display of colour, throughout the year. It usually takes 4 - 6 weeks or so for the plant to get established and for the leaves to take on the distinctive black colouration.
In the tradition of all premium modern Geranium varieties, the varieties in the Geranium Black Velvet Series incorporate superior plant traits (in addition to the superior floral credentials), including tendency to flower very early from vigorous but compact plants that are generally disease free, drought tolerant and generally hardy; resulting in essentially a reliable flower factory, particularly throughout the warmer months!
Geranium plants are generally very easy to grow, handle dry and neglected conditions such as, nature-strips, public spaces or rural gardens very well and continue to flower uniformly, without the need for any maintenance.
In colder part of Europe (such as the U.K.) plants in the Geranium Black Velvet Series are typically sold as annuals (to the retail potted plant market), however can be grown as perennial plants if they are not moved once established, provided the plants are not in a region that is frost prone, plants can often be successfully grown as a herbaceous perennial.
All varieties in the Geranium Black Velvet Series provide ideal focal colour (thanks to the contrasting black leaves) in both modern and traditional gardens and may also be grown in pots, planter boxes or as a bedding plant. These heavy flowering varieties produces long-lasting flowers that provide up to 9 - 10 months of brilliant colour. The flower heads are suitable as a cut flowers. Geranium varieties are typically easy to grow and provide spectacular colour.
Plants in the Geranium Black Velvet Series are modern cultivar hybrids of the species Pelargonium x Hortorum.
Advantages of Geranium Black Velvet Series
- Amazingly unique BLACK leaves
- Very heavy (and large) flowering varieties
- Vigorous but compact plant habit
- Very early and extended flowering season
- Spectacularly bright coloured flowers
- Very low maintenance
- Drought tolerant once established
- 25 - 30cm height at maturity
- 30cm apart is a suitable planting distance
- Prefers full sun but will grow in part shade
- Generally pest and disease resistant
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Easy to grow frost-tender flowering perennial
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Geranium Black Velvet Series, 8 seeds of selected flower colour
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes