Gahnia Sieberiana Stalwart is a fast and relatively tall growing and hardy perennial grass most often grown in landscaping applications for its elegant strappy green foliage, which is contrasted by beautiful orange-red coloured flowers/seeds (inflorescence) typically in early Spring. The variety Gahnia Sieberiana Stalwart is grown as a foliage plant similar to other native grass varieties including Lomandra varieties, except this variety is typically planted in areas that have much higher soil moisture levels, for instance up against ponds or near rivers and creeks, where it may be difficult to get other things to grow due to the high moisture levels. Gahnia Sieberiana Stalwart is an Australian native and whilst the Sieberiana species is native to much of the East coast of Australia, the Stalwart plants are non-invasive, generally clump into 120x120cm mounds of arching blades of beautiful green foliage and provide an excellent texture for many different types of landscapes.
Gahnia Sieberiana Stalwart is a versatile plant as it is generally low maintenance, will grow in a range of soils ranging from sandy through to clay and will also handle reasonable periods of excessive wetness in the root zone. Whilst not essential, like most native grasses Gahnia Sieberiana Stalwart benefits from a deep trim in early Autumn to ensure the tuft remains dense and healthy. Gahnia Sieberiana Stalwart is an improved selection of the Australian native Gahnia Sieberiana, commonly known as native sedge.
Advantages of Gahnia Sieberiana Stalwart
- Ideal for wet areas
- Stylish landscaping plant
- Hardy and versatile plant
- Beautiful bladed green foliage
- Cultivar with improved tuft resilience
- 100 - 120cm height at maturity
- 80cm apart is a suitable planting distance
- Prefers slightly shaded aspect but can handle full sun
- Will grow in most regions of Australia
- Easy to grow perennial native grass
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Gahnia Sieberina Stalwart
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes