Ficus Macrophylla Moreton Bay Fig must be one of the most beautiful Australian native trees. If you have visited coastal regions of QLD or anywhere north of Sydney, the chances are you would have come across these spectacularly large trees with their large glossy and leathery leaves, contrasting by the brown almost fury undersides. As the trees mature, they form an amazing buttressed trunk and root formation, providing an intriguing tree-of-life feel, sure to captivate the imagination of anyone lucky enough to come across these majestic trees.
As a large evergreen tree, Ficus Macrophylla Moreton Bay Fig is best suited for large gardens, country estates, public open spaces and other similar applications. The tree is best suited to warm climates that are frost free and preferably in sub-tropical and tropical regions, although its native habitat does extend as far south as the Illawarra in NSW.
Ficus Macrophylla Moreton Bay Fig is also a popular choice for bonsai, as the buttressing roots provide a stunning display. If intending to grow Ficus Macrophylla Moreton Bay Fig as a bonsai, it is important to ensure the germinated seeds are grown in a low-organic matter soil, to ensure the plant is not to vigorous. The tap-root should either be snipped or curled (J-rooted) within the first 8-weeks, to ensure the plant remains suitable for bonsai.
Advantages of Ficus Macrophylla Moreton Bay Fig
- Large striking glossy leaves
- Contrasting brown underside of leaves
- Evergreen landscaping variety
- Stunning ornamental tree
- Suitable as a large specimen or for bonsai
- 3 - 4 m height in the 5 years, but can grow much larger over the years, particularly in the sub-tropics and tropics
- Generally planted as a stand alone feature tree
- Suitable for full sun
- Drought tolerant once established
- Suitable for pots but best grown in warm and temperate regions of Australia - best to avoid frost prone regions
- Hardy evergreens tree
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Ficus Macrophylla Moreton Bay Fig
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes