Echium Wildpretii, also known as the Tower of Jewels, is a brilliant Echium variety native to Tenerife, the largest of the Canary Islands. Echium Wildpretii Sangre Montana produces spectacularly large coral red flower spikes, and is a subspecies originating from La Palma. The name Sangre Montana has the meaning of Blood Mountain in Spanish, and is a reference to the unusually large and striking flowers of this particular variety. This beautiful drought tolerant plant has elegant silvery green foliage which not only provides elegant textural contrast for the red flower spikes, but also provides an attractive and stylish foliar backdrop to both modern and traditional gardens alike. Being a hardy biennial, this variety is typically grown in the first year for its ornamental foliage, an understated precursor to the majestic glory of 2 metre tall flower spikes that generally emerge in the second year of growth. This majestic variety produces long-lasting flowers spikes which provide months of spectacular colour and are sure to grab the attention of the neighbours. Echium varieties are typically easy to grow and provide spectacular colour throughout the warmer months. Echium Wildpretii Sangre Montana is an improved selection of the traditional species of Echium Wildpretii, and is not considered a noxious weed.
Advantages of Echium Wildpretii Sangre Montana
- Stunning large red flower spikes
- Beautiful silvery-green foliage
- Long-lasting garden colour
- Tough & hardy variety
- 1 - 2.5m height at maturity
- 2m apart is a suitable planting distance
- Prefers full sun but will grow in part shade
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia but prefers generally warm climates
- Easy to grow biennial
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Echium Wildpretii Sangre Montana
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes