Echinocactus Grusonii Golden Barrel Cactus is native to central Mexico and is the most popular of the barrel cacti, with the variety also affectionately referred to by its common name, Mother-in-Law's Cushion. This variety is consists of dense rows of bright yellow spikes on the margins of each vertical rib, providing a beautiful golden colouration, which gives rise the the plants namesake, golden barrel appearance. As plants mature, small yellow flowers may appear at the crown of the plant during summer. Echinocactus Grusonii Golden Barrel Cactus does well in pots, rockeries and a wide range of gardens, and like all cacti is very drought tolerant, making it a favourite for pots or garden beds where established plants are expected to survive with very little water or attention. The bold and beautiful shape and texture make this variety a great addition to any garden, and can be used quite effectively in making a statement as a specimen plant.
Advantages of Echinocactus Grusonii Golden Barrel Cactus
- Impressive specimen plant
- Popular species of barrel cacti
- Hardy & drought-tolerant
- Long-lived succulent
- 30 - 50 cm height at maturity in most gardens, but much larger in its native habitat
- 50 cm apart is a suitable planting distance
- Prefers full sun but can tolerate part shade
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Easy to grow succulent
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Echinocactus Grusonii Golden Barrel Cactus
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes