Dypsis Golden Cane Palm is a very stylish landscaping multi-stemmed palm variety often used in high-end designer gardens, plantings as a screen, as well as in high-visibility feature areas, including foyer and pot applications. The beautiful golden yellow fronds stems (canes) provide an exquisite display all year round. Unlike most palm varieties that very quickly outgrow their cute phase (particularly in smaller gardens), the Dypsis Golden Cane Palm ages gracefully and maintains its beautiful shape and healthy growth.
Despite the timeless appeal of the Dypsis Golden Cane Palm, the plants are actually very robust and quite easy to grow. They are generally pest and disease resistant and handle a very diverse range of growing conditions from very hot to quite cold, and are also drought tolerant. Unlike many of the common and wild varieties of Palms which tend to grow irregularly and are often difficult to establish, the Dypsis Golden Cane Palm is highly suitable for landscape applications because of its superior landscape performance. Dypsis Golden Cane Palm is native of Madagascar and may also be referred to as the Butterfly Palm or the Areca Palm, but more often than not, it is simply referred to as a Golden Cane.
Advantages of Dypsis Golden Cane Palm
- Very stylish ornamental palm
- Beautiful specimen plant ideal for high-impact feature
- Tropical looking multi-trunked plant habit
- Extra-low maintenance (very hardy)
- 120 - 200cm height in the first 3-5 years, but can grow to 4m over the years (even taller in the tropics)
- 2m apart is suitable planting distance - although if going to be used as a screen, 1m spacing is more appropriate
- Will grow in part-shade but prefers full sun
- Generally drought & frost tolerant
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Dypsis Golden Cane Palm
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes