Dracaena Draco Dragon Tree is an amazingly beautiful architectural plant often grown as a feature/specimen tree by discerning horticultural experts (this species features in many of the most famous Botanical Gardens in the world). Mature plants of Dracaena Draco Dragon Tree produce spectacular lily-like fragrant white flowers, followed by coloured berries which make a spectacular display. Many millions of years ago, this ancient species inhabited much of the northern hemisphere, however these days is only native to the Canary Islands. In historical times, the sap of the plant was used as a resin for staining violins the famous reddish colour, however these days the plant is grown more for its aesthetic appeal, the strappy leaves on rugged multi-branched ash-coloured stems, are hard to beat. The hardy nature of Dracaena Draco Dragon Tree makes it a perfect variety to bonsai, particularly given plant of this variety are generally very long-lived. The bright red flowering plants underneath the Dracaena tree, are Canna Indica plants and provide a sophisticated contrast in both colour and texture. Common names for Dracaena Draco Dragon Tree include, Drago, Canary Island Dragon Tree, Dragon Blood Tree.
Advantages of Dracaena Draco Dragon Tree
- Beautiful architectural plant
- Lily-like perfumed flowers
- Long-lived specimen tree
- Hardy and easy to grow
- 5m+ height at maturity (however very slow growing)
- As this is a specimen tree, spacings of greater than 3m are advisable
- Only quite mature plants generally flower
- Suitable for part-shade and full sun
- Drought tolerant
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Perennial plant requiring 10+ years to be fully mature
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Dracaena Draco Dragon Tree
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes