Cupressus Sempervirens Italian Pencil Pine is a premium, dark-green, designer landscape variety of Cypress (conifer) tree. This variety of Cypress is most commonly grown as a feature plant for its beautiful dark-green foliage, or as formal screen (as it is very fast growing) providing beautiful colour and not requiring any special attention to keep the plant in its distinctive tall and narrow shape. The natural shape of this Cypress is the classic Pencil Pine shape, and the plant generally maintains its shape as it matures. By pruning the centre of the tree at a young age (~1m height), the plant can be forced to produce more lateral growth and form a hedge-like shape. When trimming, be sure to enjoy the beautiful aromatic smell, that also whiffs through the air when the tree canopy is wet during rain. If being used for bonsai, seedlings should be grown in a sandy (low organic matter potting medium) and the apex (top) of the young plants should be trimmed at about 15-18cm to ensure the plant form the distinctive later growth, characteristic of bonsai specimens. Cupressus Sempervirens Italian Pencil Pine is suitable for pots, borders, rockeries, rural/acreage/estate and other garden situations, particularly dry areas where it may be difficult to establish other plants with higher water requirements. Cupressus Sempervirens Italian Pencil Pine is generally easy to grow and does not require any maintenance, will tolerate soils with generally poor nutrition and is resistant to most common garden pests and diseases.
Advantages of Cupressus Sempervirens Italian Pencil Pine
- Fast-growing landscaping conifer
- Excellent specimen variety with aromatic foliage
- Beautiful deep-green foliage provide great texture to landscapes
- Easy to grow and low maintenance
- Resistant to most common pests and diseases
- 3 - 4m height in the first 5-years, but may grow much larger as the tree matures
- 1m apart is a suitable planting distance for hedging or further apart as a specimen
- Prefers full sun but will grow in part shade
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Hardy evergreen conifer tree
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Cupressus Sempervirens Italian Pencil Pine
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes