If you are after a fun chilli variety to grow, then you have to give Chilli Oriental Pequin Chili a go. This variety produces an abundance of very small (2-3cm) fruit, covering the entire plant for many months. Like all chilli varieties, the fruit starts off green, but eventually turns a bright orange and finally red, providing a beautiful display of colour for the vegetable garden. Whilst growing this variety might be fun and games at first, things get serious when it comes to taste as this variety has a very hot flavour. Chilli Oriental Pequin Chili is a south east Asian variation of the popular sequin chilli. The plants typically crop within 6 - 10 weeks, and for several months will produce an abundance of small chilli peppers, which if left unpicked, in a few weeks time turn the stunning and hot red colour. The plants are relatively large growing for a chilli plant, with typical height reaching 50cm, but 60cm+ not uncommon. On a scale of 1 to 10 the heat from this chili is around a 7, so a very hot chili, or in more technical terms around 50,000 - 100,000 Scoville units. These chilies are very vigorous and heavy bearing, so are sure to provide an extremely rewarding experience for any gardener.
Marigolds can be inter-planted with this chilli variety, as they act as a natural insect pest repellent, please visit our store for more details.
Advantages of Chilli Oriental Pequin Chili
- Heavy fruiting variety with small fruit, very hot
- Excellent for home-gardeners
- Striking green & orange fruit, turning red
- Suited for range of cooking and pickling
- Extremely heavy yielding variety, with months of continual harvesting
- Generally vigorous plant, provided it has sufficient nutrition.
- 40 - 60cm branching bush at maturity
- 40 - 50cm apart is suitable planting distance
- Requires full sun
- Will grow in most regions of Australia
- Hardy spring, summer, autumn vegetable (avoid winter frosts)
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Chilli Oriental Pequin Chili
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes