Cercis Occidentalis Western Redbud, also known as the California Redbud is a majestic small-medium sized deciduous tree that starts Spring with the entire tree covered with the most amazing pink-purple flowers until early Summer. Following flowering, Cercis Occidentalis Western Redbud slowly forms an elegant canopy of love-heart shaped bronze-green leaves, later in Autumn, the leaves turn golden yellow, before shedding leaves over the Winter, ready for another spectacular display of flowers in Spring. The variety Cercis Occidentalis Western Redbud is a bright magenta flowering variety, with an extended flowering season compared to the more common wild varieties of Cercis which are less suitable for landscape applications. Cercis Occidentalis Western Redbud is a popular specimen tree in temperate environments, particularly in southern Australia, although it is known to be also grown very successfully in Queensland.
Advantages of Cercis Occidentalis Western Redbud
- Spring flowering variety
- Spectacular display of Autumn colour
- Beautiful specimen tree ideal for colourful backdrop
- Textured trunk with beautiful shape
- Extra-low maintenance (very hardy)
- 2 - 4m height in the first 3 years, but can grow up to 6m as the plant matures
- 4m apart is suitable planting distance though these are generally planted as features
- Will grow in part-shade but requires at least moderate levels of sun
- Generally drought tolerant once established
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Hardy deciduous tree
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Cercis Occidentalis Western Redbud
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes