Casuarina Glauca Grey Oak is a hardy native, silver green leafed (needles) evergreen tree that is grown widely across Australia. This fast growing species is often grown when a fast and tall growing native species is required instead of the more compact and smaller growing Allocasuarina Littoralis Black She-Oak (also available at our store). Casuarina Glauca Grey Oak is popular with native wildlife, particularly birds such as the rare Black Cockatoo, Lorikeets and Finches which variously feed on the small flowers and cones, making this variety a great addition to the garden. This medium to large (10 - 15m tall) pine-like tree is drought tolerant and can withstand significant soil moisture such as those found in riverbank type environments or besides creeks. At the same time, Casuarina Glauca Grey Oak is able to withstand moderate frosts. Casuarina Glauca Grey Oak is used in a range of amenity style landscape applications, in areas of revegetation and in a more functional use, as a fast-growing windbreak for larger properties and public spaces. As a hardy, compact and drought tolerant variety with a strong evergreen nature, Casuarina Glauca Grey Oak is very well suited for use as a bonsai specimen, on the condition the plant receives some direct sunlight, even if only filtered light at some point during the day. In its native habitat Casuarina Glauca Grey Oak trees are generally greenish-grey, however, when plants are grown in low-light conditions (i.e. bonsai), the extent of the silver (glaucus) appearance increases.
Advantages of Casuarina Glauca Grey Oak
- Fast growing and extremely hardy evergreen tree
- Tolerates dry and wet conditions (including moderate frosts)
- Native from East Coast Australia
- Cultivar Suitable for Bonsai
- 10 - 15m height at maturity
- 1 - 2m apart is a suitable planting distance for a screen or further apart as a specimen
- Prefers full sun but will grow in a partly shaded aspect
- Suitable for pots (including bonsai) and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Easy to grow native Australian evergreen perennial
What am I Purchasing?
- Seeds of Casuarina Glauca Grey Oak
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes