Canna Lily Red Royal is a beautiful tropical looking plant grown for its attractive structural foliage that is accentuated by spectacularly large striking red flower spikes in the warmer months. The amazingly bright red flower spikes are very long lasting and provide a spectacular display over an extended period in both garden & landscape settings, and are also suitable for cutting. This Canna is one of the most popular of all the Canna varieties as it is a very strong garden performer which is quite drought tolerant, requires very little maintenance and is very resilient towards many common pests and diseases.
Unlike many of the common and wild varieties of Canna which tend to flower infrequently and generally shed excessive leaves post-flowering, the Canna Red Royal variety is specifically suited to landscape applications because of its superior performance. Canna plants are often planted with Strelitzia Reginae Bird of Paradise TCF3 as the contrasting (green on silver foliage) and counter-cyclical flowering provide year round performance. When designing gardens with Canna Lily Red Royal, planting with a plant variety which provides a textured contrast generally highlights the bold beauty. One such perfect feature plant is Dracaena Draco Dragon Tree provides a sophisticated contrast in both colour and texture. Common and wild varieties and names of Canna Lily include, Canna Indica, Indian Shot, Canna, Achira, Saka Siri, Bandera, Chancle and Coyol.
Advantages of Canna Indica Red Royal
- Profuse flowering with striking red flower spikes suitable as cut-flowers
- Long flowering season producing scented flowers
- Strong healthy vegetative tropical looking growth ideal for landscaping
- Bulbous perennial plant results in dense clumps of attractive structural foliage
- Extra-low maintenance (suitable for borders, pots and mass plantings)
- 80 - 100cm height at maturity (will clump to 60-80cm)
- 40 - 60cm apart is suitable planting distance for clumping
- Flowers warmer months (spring, summer, autumn)
- Suitable for part-shade and full sun
- Drought tolerant
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Perennial bulbous plant fully mature in 2 - 3 years
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Canna Lily Red Royal
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes