Welcome to the secret society of Brussel Sprouts lovers. Here we present, probably the easiest to grow and definitely the best tasting Brussel Sprout variety available. Brussel Sprouts Long Island Improved, is an improved variety of the Long Island variety French settlers brought with them to the United States in the 18th Century. Whilst the Long Island variety is still widely grown due to aromatic sprouts and high-yielding plants, the Improved cultivar features a generally more compact plant that has superior disease resistance. A healthy plant of Brussel Sprouts Long Island Improved can be expected to produce 70 - 100 sprouts (per plant) during an average season, with each of the sprouts measuring a good 3 - 4cm. Brussel Sprout plants are best grown in cooler climates, as warmer climates generally result in the sprouts opening up and the plant maturing before the sprouts are harvestable. This improved cultivar features a slightly silvery-blue hue (like other cruciferous vegetables) which not only assists with providing improved disease resistance, but provides a slightly sharper flavour that combines with the sweeter centres, to deliver an absolutely delicious treat. Sprouts of Brussel Sprouts Long Island Improved are suitable for a range of dishes that include steaming, boiling, baking, soup and of course freezing.
Advantages of Brussel Sprouts Long Island Improved
- Superior disease resistance compared to older varieties
- Compact plants with crop suitable for range of dishes
- Heavy yielding with 70 - 100 sprouts per plant, over the season
- Robust plant, provided it has sufficient nutrition, particularly calcium, potassium and phosphorus
- 60 - 80cm height at maturity
- 50cm apart is suitable planting distance
- Requires full sun
- Will grow in most southern regions of Australia as it prefers a relatively cold winter climate
- Hardy Autumn, Winter, Spring vegetable
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Brussel Sprouts Long Island Improved
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes