We all know that Broccoli is good for us, with 100g of the vegetable containing around 10% of our daily vitamin A, B6 and fibre requirements and a whopping 140% of our daily vitamin C requirements. However, if you have not grown Broccoli before, you may not know that the plant can sometimes be tricky to grow. Many of the older (heirloom) varieties produce nondescript florets as opposed to a large central head and are treated as more of a leaf vegetable, with almost all of the traditional varieties likely to succumb to powdery mildew, requiring immediate treatment. Other broccoli varieties are grown as a sprout as they do not produce a worthwhile vegetable. Fortunately, due to modern plant breeding programs, new hybrid varieties of Broccoli have been developed in recent years incorporating the very best traits from all the varieties as well as improved plant vigour and disease resistance. Broccoli Green King is one of the best modern F1 hybrid varieties, which produces well formed large bluish-green heads (even during the warmer months) with a classic broccoli flavour on health plants that are highly resistant to the common powdery mildew leaf disease. Broccoli Green King is particularly well suited to Australian conditions and is a widely cultivated and recommended variety amongst professional vegetable growers not just in Australia, but around the world.
Advantages of Broccoli Green King
- Best large head broccoli variety available
- High performance hybrid variety
- Powdery mildew resistant
- Also suitable for warmer regions where most broccoli varieties will not grow
- Generally vigorous plant, provided it has sufficient nutrition, particularly calcium phosphorus
- 40 - 50cm height at maturity
- 40 - 50cm apart is suitable planting distance
- Requires full sun
- Will grow in most regions of Australia (avoid humid environments)
- Hardy Autumn, Winter, Spring vegetable
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Broccoli Green King
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes