Bombax Flame of Ceiba is a brilliant coral-red flowering variety of Bombax tree, a species belonging to the Malvacaea a plant family that is naturally found across much of South East Asia including, India, China and Thailand. This elegant tree is culturally important to several Asian cultures for many years as certain spices are extracted from the fruits and reports that Chinese historical records indicate that the Emperor of the Han Dynasty was gifted a Bombax Ceiba tree in the 2nd Century BC.
Bombax Flame of Ceiba is famous for its distinctive ocean of colour in early Spring where the brilliant coral-red flowers engulf the entire tree canopy for several months, before the emergence of leaves later in Spring.
Bombax Flame of Ceiba is a relatively quick-growing large tree, suitable as a feature or as part of a large landscape in relatively warm regions.
Bombax Flame of Ceiba is suitable as a bonsai, provided the germinated seeds are grown in a low-organic matter soil, to ensure the plant is not to vigorous. The tap-root should either be snipped or curled (J-rooted) within the first 8-weeks, to ensure the plant remains suitable for bonsai.
Advantages of Bombax Flame of Ceiba
- Spectacular coral-red flowers
- Majestic specimen tree ideal for high-impact feature
- Large long-lived deciduous tree
- 3 - 5m height in the first 5 years, but can grow as tall as 20m+ over the years
- 10m apart is suitable planting distance though these are generally planted as features
- Suitable for part-shade and full sun
- Drought tolerant once established
- Suitable for pots and prefers warmer regions of Australia
- Hardy deciduous tree
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Bombax Flame of Ceiba
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes