This one is definitely for the cane begonia collectors. We know you are out there! We love the taller growing exotic nature of cane begonias as well, and think it is hard to go past a Begonia Coccinea, with its hallmark waxy textured flowers, in striking colours. A great plant choice for that sneaky hidden spot in the garden somewhere beside a secret garden pathway. The variety Begonia Coccinea Gran Rojo, is a stunning red flowering form of B.coccinea, that produces spectacular flowing displays of colour throughout much of the warmer months. This Brazilian native, is actually epiphytic, so in its native environment it will grow in the bark of other trees, particularly trees with thick bark.
Important note: The seeds of all Begonia Coccinea varieties are very small, in fact tiny. You will need to place the clear seed packet on a white piece of paper to see the seeds. Please do not contact us telling us the seed packet was empty! If you cannot see the tiny seeds, look harder, or get somebody with better eyesight to assist. Given the small seeds, this variety is best started-off in small (~30mm) coir Jiffy pellets, ideally inside a suitable Plant Propagation Kit.
Advantages of Begonia Coccinea Gran Rojo
- Rare Brazilian cane begonia
- Bunches of brilliant red flowers
- Epiphytic in its natural habitat
- Semi-hardy perennial begonia
- Relatively fast growing
- 1m height at maturity
- 1m apart is suitable planting distance
- Flowers most spectacularly in Spring and Autumn
- Suitable for part-shade and full sun
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia (prefers warmer environments)
- Semi-hardy perennial that is frost-sensitive
- Seeds are tiny, therefore use jiffy pellets to get these started
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Begonia Coccinea Gran Rojo
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes