A widely cultivated Bauhinia tree that is often grown for its trademark exotic pink and purple flowers that resemble an orchid in flower. This fast growing tree is native to South China and is generally quite hardy and makes an excellent feature tree in a range of landscape settings. This variety of Bauhinia has been reported to posses a range of antibacterial, anti-diabetic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory and other medicinal properties, however, at The Climbing Fig we recommend the use of this variety only for landscape related applications, or potentially bonsai, if you are that way inclined! This variety is known as Bauhinia Purpurea, also known as Phanera Purpurea and referred to as the Butterfly Tree or Hawaiian Orchid Tree.
Advantages of Bauhinia Hawaiian Orchid Tree
- Stunning pink-purple flowers
- Highly fragrant exotic flowers
- Range of medicinal properties
- Elegant deciduous tree
- 4 - 5m height at maturity
- 5 - 6m apart is suitable planting distance
- Prefers full sun but will grow in part shade
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Hardy deciduous tree
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Bauhinia Hawaiian Orchid Tree
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes