Basil Thai Sweet Purple is a popular basil variety used widely in Asian cooking as the flavour is slightly more aromatic (hint of liquorice) and generally more stable at high temperatures, such as those experienced during the preparation of various stir-fry dishes. In addition to its delightful flavour, Basil Thai Sweet Purple has a distinct appearance with purple stems extending to the growing tips which are also a beautiful purple colour, providing a great display in any herb garden, not to mention an excellent supply of fresh basil to use as both a garnish as well as well as for flavouring your next culinary delight.
If grown in warmer environments (or at least regions where frosts are uncommon), Basil Thai Sweet Purple can be grown as a quasi-perennial, therefore providing several years supply of Thai Basil leaves. The variety Basil Thai Sweet Purple has been selected for its superior cultivation characteristics, most specifically the delayed onset of flowering, which generally marks the end of the harvesting period for common basil varieties. Whilst Basil Thai Sweet Purple will eventually flower, regular deep trimming, will prolong the vegetative phase of growth, ensuring you continue to harvest bunches and bunches of tender crispy basil for many months.
Advantages of Basil Thai Sweet Purple
- Popular purple-stemmed Thai Basil variety
- Desirable tender-leafed basil, better for salads and cooking, not just garnishes!
- Harvestable for an extended period as this is a slow bolting variety (delayed onset of floral development)
- 30-50cm height at maturity
- Plant in herb garden, allowing at least 30cm space
- Prefers full sun but will grow in part shade
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Easy to grow garden herb
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Basil Thai Sweet Purple
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes