Basil Dark Opal is a popular purple-leaved variety of basil used in a range of culinary uses including as a flavouring for rice dishes, garnishes as well as for colouring basil vinegar. The variety Basil Dark Opal also provides a great display in any herb garden, as this variety produces a beautiful pink flower towards the end of the season, generally in late Autumn. The variety Dark Opal has been selected for its superior cultivation characteristics, most specifically the delayed onset of flowering, which generally marks the end of the harvesting period for common basil varieties. Whilst Basil Dark Opal will eventually flower, regular deep trimming, will prolong the vegetative phase of growth, ensuring you continue to harvest bunches and bunches of tender crispy basil for many months.
Advantages of Basil Dark Opal
- Popular purple-leafed variety (often used in the best focacia, pizza, pasta dishes - not the chewy, fury perennial basil varieties!)
- Desirable tender-leafed basil, better for salads and cooking, not just garnishes!
- Harvestable for an extended period as this is a slow bolting variety (delayed onset of floral development)
- 30-50cm height at maturity
- Plant in herb garden, allowing at least 30cm space
- Prefers full sun but will grow in part shade
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Easy to grow garden herb
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Basil Dark Opal
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes