Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana Bangalow Palm is a very sleek and elegant palm variety ideal for a range of landscaping applications, including around pools where the non-invasive root system and the self-shedding characteristics make it an ideal variety. This medium-sized palm (3-5m in most garden settings) is a great garden performer.
The fronds of Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana Bangalow Palm has a mild silvery tinge to them, providing a beautiful contrast to other (boring green) palm varieties, particularly when interplanted. Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana Bangalow Palm is often multi-planted to provide the classic three-trunked structure that leads to gently bowing trunks with a graceful canopy made up of three separate palms. Despite the beautiful appearance of the Bangalow Palm, the plants are actually very robust and quite easy to grow. They are generally pest and disease resistant and handle a very diverse range of growing conditions from very hot to relatively cool, and are also drought tolerant. This variety should not be planted in cold or frost-prone aspects in the southern states, as Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana Bangalow Palm is a sub-tropical species which requires warm to relatively mild conditions to grow well outdoors.
Unlike many of the common and wild varieties of Palms which tend to grow irregularly and are often difficult to establish, the Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana Bangalow Palm is highly suitable for landscape applications because of its superior performance. Common names of Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana include Bangalow Palm, and several other variants to Cunninghamiana including Cunninghamia and Cunninghamii.
Advantages of Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana Bangalow Palm
- Spectacular palm variety ideal for landscaping
- Medium sized palm
- Elegant silver-tinged foliage
- Self-shedding fronds
- Mature trees produce small red seeds that are a great display
- Extra-low maintenance (very hardy)
- 3 - 5m height when mature in garden setting, but very old trees may grow much larger, particularly in North Queensland
- 3m apart is suitable planting distance though these are generally planted as features
- Will grow in part-shade but prefers full sun
- Generally drought tolerant
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia, with the exception of southern Australia and frost-prone regions
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana Bangalow Palm
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes