Amaranthus Red Cathedral is the most popular variety of Purple Amaranth, and makes an impressive addition to any garden during the warmer months. The stunning inflorescence (flowers) can extend 50-60cm long, with the deep red flowers contrasting against the burgundy foliage, providing a great display not only in the garden, but are also suitable for cutting. This variety is apparently used in South America and Japan as a garnish, as well as a source of leaves (eaten like spinach), however we suggest this be used as an ornamental only, and perhaps consider planting some Nasturtiums (available in the Herbs section of our store) if you are after an edible garnish. This variety is best grown in the sub-tropics or a sheltered area in cooler areas as Amaranthus Red Cathedral is not frost hardy.
Advantages of Amaranthus Red Cathedral
- Fast growing colourful annual
- Easy to grow and low maintenance
- Resistant to most common pests and diseases
- 100 - 120cm height at maturity
- 30 - 60cm apart is a suitable planting distance
- Prefers full sun but will grow in part shade
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most frost-free regions
- Hardy fast growing annual
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Amaranthus Red Cathedral
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes