Allocasuarina Littoralis Black She-Oak is a hardy native evergreen tree that is grown widely across Australia. This hardy species is often grown when a small-medium sized native tree species is required instead of the taller growing and silvery leafed Casuarina Glauca Grey Oak (also available). Allocasuarina Littoralis Black She-Oak is popular with native wildlife, particularly birds such as the rare Black Cockatoo, Lorikeets and Finches which variously feed on the small flowers and cones, making this variety a great addition to the garden.
The versatility of this variety is demonstrated by the natural distribution of this species which spans the entire Australian east coast from as far north as Cape York and virtually to the southern tip of Tasmania! This small to medium (6 - 8m tall) pine-like tree is also particularly drought tolerant and at the same time being able to withstand moderate frosts. Allocasuarina Littoralis Black She-Oak is used in a range of amenity style landscape applications, in areas of revegetation and in a more functional use, as a fast-growing windbreak for larger properties and public spaces. As a hardy, compact and drought tolerant variety with a strong evergreen nature, Allocasuarina Littoralis Black She-Oak is very well suited for use as a bonsai specimen, on the condition the plant receives some direct sunlight, even if only filtered light at some point during the day.
Advantages of Allocasuarina Littoralis Black She-Oak
- Extremely hardy evergreen tree
- Very drought and frost tolerant
- Native from East Coast Australia
- Cultivar Suitable for Bonsai
- 6 - 8m height at maturity
- 1 - 2m apart is a suitable planting distance for a screen or further apart as a specimen
- Prefers full sun but will grow in part shade
- Suitable for pots (including bonsai) and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Easy to grow native Australian evergreen perennial
What am I Purchasing?
- Seeds of Allocasuarina Littoralis Black She-Oak
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes