Adansonia Digitata Baobab Tree is an exceptionally hardy tree native to the African continent where it has a wide distribution and has also been cultivated through the disposal of its seeds from the fruits of the Baobab. The fruits of Baobab have been widely reported to contain high levels of vitamins and minerals, however it should be noted only very large trees (typically older than 10 years) bear fruits, therefore Adansonia Digitata Baobab Tree is more commonly grown for its exotic ornamental appeal. Adansonia Digitata Baobab Tree is a large-sized tree with a distinct bottle-shaped trunk and the distinctive branches that resemble a root-system and often result in baobab trees being referred to as upside down trees. In the wet-season, Adansonia Digitata Baobab Tree produce leaves that are reported to be edible and with the onset of the dry-season, baobab trees drop their leaves to reveal the beautiful architecture of the branches. Whilst Adansonia Digitata Baobab Tree will eventually produce fruit, we recommend this tree to be planted in large open areas where the tree can grow comfortably into a majestic specimen tree that will be appreciated for generations to come as this is an extremely long-lived tree with specimens reported to be in excess of 1,000 years old. Adansonia Digitata Baobab Tree is a favourite of patient bonsai enthusiasts as the bottle-shaped trunk is impressive, particularly when achieved on a small bonsai plant. Provided the germinated seeds of Adansonia Digitata Baobab Tree are grown in a low-organic matter soil, to ensure the plant is not to vigorous, this variety is great for bonsai. The tap-root should either be snipped or curled (J-rooted) within the first 8-weeks, to ensure the plant remains suitable for bonsai.
Advantages of Adansonia Digitata Baobab Tree
- Intriguing ornamental tree
- Exotic African Baobab species
- Attractive landscaping variety
- Very long lived tree
- Suitable as a specimen for bonsai
- 3 - 4 m height in the first 5 years, but can grow as tall as 15m+ over the years
- This variety is generally planted as a feature at spacings greater than 10m
- Prefers full sun aspect
- Drought tolerant once established and generally frost tolerant
- Suitable for pots but best grown in warmer regions of Australia
- Hardy long-lived tree
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Adansonia Digitata Baobab Tree
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes