Acer Rubrum Red Maple is hardy ornamental tree that is very popular in gardens and landscapes in temperate areas for good reason. Acer Rubrum Red Maple provides a stunning display of colour for all seasons. Whilst the plant is deciduous in winter, it quickly follows with a stunning display of glossy dark green foliage in spring and summer followed by the spectacular display or orange/red/burgundy colour in the Autumn. Acer Rubrum Red Maple is commonly grown in a wide range of soil types ranging from sandy loams through to heavier clays, with the plant able to tolerate extreme soil moisture levels including either swampy or very dry conditions.
Like all Maple varieties, Acer Rubrum Red Maple is also suitable as a bonsai, provided the seeds are germinated in either Jiffy pellets for a shallow compact root system, or in a low-organic matter soil to ensure the plants are not very vigorous. If the young plants are not being started in Jiffy pellets, the tap-root should either be snipped or curled (J-rooted) within the first 8 - 12 weeks of germination, to ensure the plant remains optimally suited for bonsai.
Advantages of Acer Rubrum Red Maple
- Majestic ornamental tree
- Spectacular display for every season
- Attractive landscaping variety
- Suitable for screening or as a specimen
- Ideal as bonsai plant
- 3 - 4 m height in 5 years, but can grow as tall as 8-10m over the years
- 1-2 m apart is suitable planting distance (as a screen) though these are generally planted as features
- Suitable for full sun
- Drought and waterlogged-soil tolerant once established
- Suitable for pots but best grown in temperate regions of Australia
- Hardy deciduous tree
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Acer Rubrum Red Maple
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes